- What message would Bonhoeffer have for the Hoovers?
- What do the Hoovers have for me?
I think I was hit by the fact that both sets of characters finally found a way to act and live for something beyond their own selfish desires and in living for something else they finally found a little bit more of what they were looking for. Both are journeys of self discovers obviously taken along different paths. The calling to live for the dream of a 7 year old to enter a beauty pageant and to live a life of discipleship to Christ are two very different calls.
So I think my answer to the Hoovers would go something like this:
Living for somebody else is honorable; it's only when start living for somebody else that we truly find out who we really are. But the person we live for must be chosen carefully because there is only one who person who we can live for who will not let us down and whom living for will truly result in find ourselves and that person is Jesus Christ.Like the crap that the Hoovers went through to get from New Mexico to California there is a cost in following Jesus but it is in following him that our homesick hearts find a place in this world we call home.
I think I'll close this murky glimpse outside the box with the following quote from The Cost of Discipleship concerning the Grace of Jesus Christ:
Blessed are they who, in the knowledge of such grace, can live in the world without losing themselves in it. In following Christ their heavenly home has become so certain that they are truly free for life in this world.
God bless all you freedom seekers climbing out of the box. If you see me on the way out offer me a hand.
1 comment:
I've been wanting to see Little Miss Sunshine. I have a friend who wrote, "I Love this movie. Love it." However, Shannon said that it was incredibly depressing (she watched it with some girlfriends). So I'm sure I'll get the chance to see it someday, but I don't know when since I don't generally watch movies by myself and I know that Shannon won't want to see it again.
I've also been wanting to read some of Bonhoeffer's stuff for a while. Maybe it's time to do it. Any suggestions? Should I start with The Cost of Discipleship? Great quote, by the way.
Great post. Consider me subscribed.
Post a Comment